Toledo, OH – Members, Incumbents, and candidates of the Ohio Republican Party State Central Committee joined together today to demand the immediate resignation of Chairman Borges following the disclosure of his unauthorized use of party funds and resources.
As per Ohio Republican Party bylaws, funds or resources cannot be used to “…attack any other Republican.” in a primary election. According to information contained in the letter that was sent to Chairman Borges (see below), 13 instances of “Attack on fellow Republicans” are documented.
The attack ads are clearly marked “Paid for by the Ohio Republican Party, Chairman Matthew Borges”. Attack post cards, Facebook pages, and web sites started showing up last week against six Republican Candidates, including one of John Kasich’s opponents, Donald Trump. The following six Republicans were attacked by Chairman Borges and the Ohio Republican Party:
Wendy Sizemore, candidate, State Central Committee #17.
Colleen O’Toole, candidate Supreme Court Judge.
John Adams, candidate Ohio Senate District 12.
Janet Porter, candidate Ohio Senate District 22 (four separate post cards) .
Chris Geer, candidate Delaware County Domestic Court.
Donald Trump, candidate, President of the United States.
A letter demanding Chairman Borges resignation was transmitted to him on Sunday, All members of the State Central Committee were Cced on the letter, several have added their signatures demanding Borges resignation.
Formal complaints are being prepared for filing with the Ohio Secretary of State, the Ohio Ethics Commission, and the Ohio Attorney General. State Central Committee members and the victims of Chairman Borges attacks are reviewing legal recourse against the Ohio Republican Party and Chairman Borges.
Bill Delaney, SCC #11 said: “Many of my fellow State Central Committee Representatives refuse to hold Chairman Borges accountable and are willing to turn a blind eye. This is unacceptable. We were elected to represent the people, we must hold ourselves up to a higher standard, we must be accountable for our actions. This is what the people are demanding.”
Gary Burkholder, SCC #31 says: “This is one of the reasons why the Republican voter base is angry. They go about lives, day by day, and follow the rules. In the meantime, party leaders ignore the rules and do whatever they want, and continue to get away with it.”
Below, is the letter sent to Chairman Borges, demanding he tender his registration to take effect immediately;
March 13, 2016
Chairman Matthew Borges;
The Ohio Republican Party Bylaws registered with the Ohio Secretary of State on September 18, 2015, (see attachment) clearly states:
Article VI, Section 2, Paragraph (d)
“No ORP candidate services shall be used to attack any other Republican candidate in a primary election. ORP candidate services will only be used in a primary campaign when the candidate is supported in accordance with the primary policy guidelines.”
The following bylaw violations have been brought to our attention. In each occurrence, the violations include the following: “Paid for by the Ohio Republican Party, Matthew Borges, Chairman”
- Post card mailer attacking Republican Candidate Wendy Sizemore, State Central Committee district 17. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer attacking Republican Candidate Colleen O’Toole, Supreme Court Judge. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer attacking Republican Candidate John Adams, OH Senate District 12. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer #1 attacking Republican Candidate Janet Porter, OH Senate District 22. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer #2 attacking Republican Candidate Janet Porter, OH Senate District 22. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer #3 attacking Republican Candidate Janet Porter, OH Senate District 22. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer #4 attacking Republican Candidate Janet Porter, OH Senate District 22. (see attachment)
- Post card mailer attacking Republican Candidate Chris Geer, Delaware County Domestic Court. (see attachment)
- Ohio Republican Party Media Phone call. Attack on Donald Trump, Candidate, President. (see attachment)
- News report of phone call where Chairman Borges attacks Trump, ( (see attachment)
- Facebook ad attacking Republican Candidate Colleen O’Toole, Supreme Court Judge. (see attachment)
- Web Site – attack page attacking Republican Candidate Colleen O’Toole, Supreme Court Judge. This page hosted by the Ohio GOP on the Ohio GOP site (see attachment)
- Web Site – Thank you for attacking O’Toole page. This page hosted by the Ohio GOP on the Ohio GOP site. (see attachment)
The above actions are in violation of standing rules and bylaws of the Ohio Republican Party. Furthermore, through these actions, you have unilaterally exposed the Ohio Republican Party to litigation not only from the targeted candidates, but also from members of the Ohio Republican Party.
The Ohio Republican Party is under close scrutiny by its membership as well as those who are not affiliated with the party. Therefore, immediate action must be taken to ensure that we adhere to the bylaws that are registered with the Ohio Secretary of State.
Chairman Borges, as a result of your unauthorized and overreaching actions as chairman of the Ohio Republican Party, we the undersigned demand that you tender your resignation effective immediately.
Signed, Incumbents and Candidates for Ohio Republican Party State Central Committee,
The following have signed. Those with no mark have not returned phone calls or e-mail messages. This list will be updated as these representatives make a decision to whether to hold the party accountable or not.
|1||Ryan P. Hite|
|8||Elle Koch McVay||SIGNED|
|8||Heather Noelle Blessing|
|8||Mary Anne Christie|
|12||S. R. Lentz|
|14||Kay Reynolds||REFUSED TO SIGN|
|18||Mary Pat Weist-Izar||SIGNED|
|24||R. Randal Abraham|
|28||Evelyn Kate DeVitis|
|30||Leanne C. Neuhart||SIGNED|
|31||Jo Ann Wiblin||SIGNED|
ORP Post Card Mailer attacking Wendy Sizemore (CLICK HERE)
ORP Post Card Mailer attacking Colleen O’Toole (CLICK HERE)
ORP Post Card Mailer attacking John Adams (CLICK HERE)
Screen shot of Facebook ad attacking Colleen O’Toole (CLICK HERE)
Screen shot of ORP web page attacking Colleen O’Toole (CLICK HERE)
Screen Shot of ORP Attack Thank you page (CLICK HERE)
Ohio Republican Party Bylaws (CLICK HERE)